British Land Strengthens Commitment to 100% Renewable Energy

27/07/2016

Today, British Land has become a member of RE100, a forward thinking global collaboration of businesses committed to using 100% electricity from renewable sources.

The initiative convened by The Climate Group in partnership with CDP will drive the transformation of the global energy market and support the transition towards a low carbon economy.

Our commitment to RE100 will not only include space owned by the company but almost all service charge space. So 98% of the electricity used to light and power our shopping centres and office campuses comes from guaranteed renewable sources certified through Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin, (REGO) products with the remaining 2% being certified over the next three years.

RE100 membership provides us with another platform to deliver our 2020 sustainability strategy and futureproofing goals. We already install renewable energy sources on most new developments and recently completed the largest installation of solar photovoltaic panels at our St Stephen’s shopping centre in Hull.

Our achievements also extend to greater energy efficiency, cutting Scope 1 and 2 carbon intensity across our entire property portfolio by 40% since 2009 and saving occupiers £13m through these improvements over the past four years.

Matt Webster, Head of Wellbeing and Futureproofing said, "RE100 provides us with a great opportunity to show business leadership on climate change playing a crucial role alongside government policy that boosts confidence and long term investments."

Emily Farnworth, RE100 Campaign Director, The Climate Group, said: “Real estate companies are uniquely placed to inspire climate action, and can ensure tenants are using renewable electricity. Many RE100 members who rent office and retail space will benefit from landlords like British Land, who can provide 100% renewable power. From improved reputations to stabilised energy bills, there are advantages for everyone concerned. It’s great to see British Land leading by example and we hope that other property developers follow.”

 

This article was originally published on British Land's website